When should I create a new course?
You will want to create a new course for each class that you teach. For example, if you are teaching three different Personal Finance courses, you will want to create a course for each of these classes. This will allow you to keep your student grades separated by class, as well as allow you to configure each class to meet your students needs.
Additionally, you will also want to create a new course once your previous course(s) have ended, say at the end of a semester. This will ensure that you and your students have the most up to date simulation files.
How do I create a new course?
To create a new course, you will need to log into your Instructor account and click on the “Add a New Course” button at the top of your home page.
You will now be presented with the Couse Setup page.
Complete the Course Setup page as follows:
- Add a new course for: Select the course (Personal Finance, Hotel, etc...) that you wish to create. This list will display all Virtual Business simulations that your school is licensed for.
- Usage: Select either Main Curriculum or Supplemental
- Main Curriculum - Select if the Virtual Business will be your primary curriculum for the course. By default all quizzes (reading & math) along with the simulations will automatically be turned on.
- Supplemental - Select this option if you will be using the Virtual Business to supplement existing curriculum. For example, you are teaching an Accounting course with an existing curriculum, but you would like to use the simulations to reinforce the material within that curriculum. By default all quizzes will be disabled and only the simulations will be turned on.
Note: Regardless of which option you choose, you have the ability to enable/disable quizzes once the course has been created.
- Prevent student enrollment via the Knowledge Matters LMS: Select Yes ONLY if you are integrating this course into an external LMS such as Canvas or Blackboard, otherwise select No
- Course End Date - Enter the date that the course will end. Knowledge Matters recommends entering a date several days past when you think the course will end to allow for extra time to complete the lessons.
- Course Name - Enter a unique name to identify the course. For example, Personal Finance - Period 1, Personal Finance - Period 2, etc...
Once you have filled out all fields, click the Submit button to create your course. Your new course will now appear under "Your Courses" on your Instructor home page.
If a course that you are interested in does not appear in the Add Courses pull-down menu, please contact our sales department either by phone at 413-587-9917 or via email here and they will be able to assist you in getting set up with a trial and/or discuss options to add the full course to your school's account.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article